Harnessing laser technology for a better patient experience
Lasers have been used widely in medicine for the past 30 years with great success. Biolase harnesses the advantages of laser technology to make dental procedures far more comfortable for patients. With Biolase there’s less time in the dental chair and fewer complications than traditional dental procedures using needles, drills, and scalpels.
If you’re one of the many people who have put off getting dental treatment out of fear of needles, drills, and enduring long procedures, your life is about to change.
Introducing Biolase Laser Dentistry
A Biolase device is a dental laser that uses low-level laser energy to perform a wide range of minimally invasive dental and periodontal procedures quickly, safely, and gently, with less bleeding, and often without requiring a needle of local anesthesia.
Why Biolase Leaves Traditional Dental Hand Tools in the Dust
Biolase has facilitated a whole new experience for dental patients by making a wide range of dental procedures gentle and stress-free.
Advantages of Biolase over dental hand tools include:
- Less pain during and after the procedure. Often minimal to no anesthesia is required and our patients report very little post-treatment discomfort. When there is discomfort, it resolves quickly.
- Reduced post-procedure swelling and bleeding.
- Better preservation of gum and bone tissue. There is less receding of gums and loss of bone due to high bacterial contamination.
- Quicker healing. Clinical studies on patients with mouth ulcers have shown that procedures using this type of laser have faster healing and less pain than those treated with hand tools.
MD Perio Offers Two Different Kinds of Biolase
At MD Perio we use two different types of Biolase devices, depending on the procedure we’re performing. This gives us more options for providing comfortable treatment and better results.
The Biolase Waterlase
The Waterlase instrument is a wand that combines laser energy with a cool water spray, allowing our doctors to perform a wide range of minimally invasive procedures in a safe and virtually pain-free way, including:
The Waterlase gently polishes off the top layer of melanin-containing dark gum tissue to expose the pink gum tissue underneath. Clinical studies comparing gum lightening with this laser versus a scalpel found that patients experienced less pain, less bleeding, quicker wound healing, and greater overall satisfaction after the laser treatment.
Learn more about Gum Lightening.
“Gummy smile” correction
The Waterlase precisely trims the excess gum tissue covering your teeth to create a more proportioned and aesthetically pleasing smile.
Learn more about correcting a Gummy Smile.
Waterlase can help salvage loose or infected implants by reducing the bacterial load, arresting bone loss, and decreasing gum shrinkage (recession).
Learn more about Implant Rehabilitation.
Waterlase can remove excess gum tissue quickly and with minimal bleeding in order to expose more of the tooth stump to accommodate a porcelain crown.
Learn more about Crown Lengthening.
Correct a “tongue-tie”
Waterlase can also trim a section of tissue called the frenulum that anchors your tongue to the floor of your mouth, making it difficult for some people to speak. Called a frenectomy, this procedure is much less painful, quicker, and involves significantly less bleeding when performed with a Waterlase as opposed to a scalpel.
Learn more about Frenectomy.
If you need to have veneers removed for a procedure, the Waterlase performs this quickly and with minimal damage to the underlying tooth as compared to prying off the veneer with hand tools.
The Biolase Epic
The Epic is a Biolase handpiece that uses gentle laser energy for a variety of soft tissue procedures, including:
- Treating canker sores, aphthous ulcers, and Herpes blisters: The Epic stimulates faster healing while minimizing scarring.
- Gum pocket decontamination: At MD Perio, we’ve seen decreased bacterial load in gum pockets after treating them with the Epic as part of our protocol for treating periodontal disease. Clinical studies have confirmed that adding this laser treatment to manual tooth scaling and root planing procedures actually decreases the amount of bacteria responsible for gum disease.
- Removing oral growths: The Epic allows us to remove uncomfortable or suspicious growths quicker, with much greater precision, and with less pain, bleeding, and scarring than with surgical procedures using a scalpel.
- Tooth desensitization: Clinical studies comparing patients suffering from tooth hypersensitivity who underwent pain therapy with this type of laser versus a placebo handpiece found that the laser-treated patients reported less tooth pain than those treated without the laser.
- Treating TMJ pain: About 5 – 10 % of Americans suffer from Temporomandibular Disorder – pain at the joint attaching the lower jaw to the skull. This is often a result of head or neck trauma, tooth grinding, or clenching. We’ve had a lot of success with Epic in relieving TMJ pain in those patients who have failed traditional treatment with anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, injections, and night guards.
Biolase … making a wide range of dental procedures gentle and stress-free.
Why Choose MD Perio for your periodontal care?
The doctors at MD Perio offer over 20 years of expertise in periodontal care and implantology in a state-of-the-art facility using the latest technology designed to improve your outcomes and comfort.
At MD Perio, you will experience a gentle approach to periodontal care because we believe that you should never have to sacrifice your oral health out of fear of going to the dentist.
To schedule an appointment, click here or call (310) 859-9449. Your smile will thank you!
At MD Periodontics, we take our patients’ safety seriously. Our facility follows Covid-19 patient safety procedures that exceed all CDC recommendations. Masks are required in our institutes at all times.
We have convenient accessibility for patients throughout Southern California and the Los Angeles area. Our Beverly Hills office is conveniently located near West Los Angeles, Culver City, West Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, Marina del Rey, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Sherman Oaks, and Encino.